tweet!

barnner

Senin, 01 April 2013

c 8

"Maybe there's a portrait in the attic,"Havers replied.

Lynley glanced at her in surprise. Thus far today, she had been so markedly diligent about behaving appropriately, about cooperating completely and promptly with his every order, that to hear her break away from that and say something amusing was a bit of a shock. A nice one, in fact. "Honours to you, Sergeant,"he chuckled. "Let's see what Mrs. Mowrey has to say."

She met them at the front door, looking from one to the other in confusion and—was it veiled just behind the eyes?—a touch of fear. "Good morning,"she said. Down from the roof terrace, she looked at least more like a woman approaching middle age. But the hair was still sunny-blonde, the fi gure slight, the skin lightly freckled and virtually unlined.

Lynley showed her his warrant card. "Scot

land Yard CID. May we come in, Mrs. Mowrey?"
She looked from Lynley to Havers's grim face and back again. "Of course."Her voice was quite even, polite and warm. But there was a hesitation, a rigidity in her movements, that suggested strong emotion withheld.

She led them to the left, through an open door that took them into the sitting room, where she gestured wordlessly at the furniture, beckoning them to sit. It was a well-furnished, tasteful room, with pieces of a modern design, pine and walnut that mingled with subdued autumn colours. A clock was ticking somewhere, light and rapid like a racing pulse. Here was none of the riotous disorder of Olivia Odell nor the mechanical precision of Gembler Farm. Rather, this room was obviously the gathering place for a congenial family, with informal photographs displayed, souvenirs of trips, and a stack of boxed games and cards shelved among books.

Tessa Mowrey chose a chair in the farthest corner where the light was weakest. She sat down on its edge, her back upright, her legs crossed, her hands folded in her lap. She wore a plain gold wedding band. She didn't ask why Scotland Yard had come calling. Rather, she followed Lynley with her eyes as he walked to the mantel and took note of the photographs that were its display.

"Your children?"he asked. There were two of them, a girl and a boy, pictures taken on a family holiday in St. Ives. He recognised the familiar sweep of the bay, the grey and white buildings on the shore, and the assortment of boats left beached at low tide.

"Yes,"she responded. She volunteered nothing else. Quiescent, she awaited the inevitable. The silence continued. Lynley allowed it to do so. Eventually, sheer nervousness compelled her to go on.

"Has Russell telephoned you?"There was an edge of despair in her voice. It was dull-sounding, as if she'd experienced the full range of grief and there was nothing left in her, no depth of emotion to plummet further. "I thought he might. Of course, it's been three weeks. I'd begun to hope he was only punishing me till we sorted everything out."She stirred uneasily when Sergeant Havers took out her notebook. "Oh, must you?"she asked

faintly.

"I'm afraid so,"Lynley replied.

"Then I'll tell you everything. It's best."She looked down at her hands and tightened their grip on each other.

Odd, Lynley thought, how as members of the same species we inevitably rely on the same set of gestures for our nonverbal signals of distress. A hand raised to the throat, arms cradling the body protectively, a quick adjustment of clothing, a flinching to ward off a psychic blow. Tessa, he saw, was gathering strength now to get through this ordeal, as if one hand could give the other a transfusion of courage through the simple expedient of fi ngers intertwined. It seemed to work. She looked up, her expression defi ant.

"I had just turned sixteen when I married him. Can you understand what it's like to be married to a man eighteen years older than yourself when you're only sixteen? Of course you can't. No one can. Not even Russell."

"You didn't want to stay on in school?"

"I'd planned to. But I'd left school to help on the farm for a few weeks when Dad's back went bad. It was only a temporary arrangement. I was supposed to return in a month. Marsha Fitzalan gave me work to do so that I wouldn't fall behind. But I fell behind, and there was William."

"How do you mean?"

"He'd come to buy a ram from Dad. I took him out to see it. William was…very handsome. I was romantic. He was Heathcliff come to claim Cathy at last, as far as I was concerned."

"Surely your father had some concern about his sixteen-year-old daughter wanting to marry? And to marry a man so much older than herself?"

He did. Mother as well. But I was stubborn, and William was responsible, respectable, and strong. I think they believed that if they didn't let me marry him, I would turn out wild and go desperately bad in one way or another. So they gave their consent, and we married."

"What happened to the marriage?"

"What does a sixteen-year-old girl know about marriage, Inspector?"she asked in answer. "I wasn't even certain how babies got themselves born when I married William. You'd think a farm girl would have a bit more sense, but you have to remember that I spent most of my free time with the Brontës. Charlotte, Anne, and Emily were always a bit vague when it came down to the details. But I found out quickly enough. Gillian was born before my seventeenth birthday. William was thrilled. He adored her. It was as if his life began the moment he saw Gilly."

"Yet a number of years passed before you had a second child."

"That's because Gilly changed everything between us."

"How?"

"Somehow she—this tiny, fragile baby— made William discover religion and nothing was quite the same after that."

"I've somehow got the impression he was always religious."

"Oh no. Not till Gillian. It was as if he couldn't quite be a good enough father, as if he had to purify his soul to be worthy of a child."

"How did he do it?"

She laughed shortly at the memory, but the sound was regretful and unamused. "The Bible, confession, daily communion. Within a year of our marriage, he became the backbone of St. Catherine's and a devoted father."

"And there you were, a teenager, trying to live with a baby and a saint."

"That's exactly what it was like. Except that I didn't have to worry so much about the baby. I wasn't quite good enough to care for William's child. Or perhaps not holy enough because, at any rate, he mostly cared for her himself."

"What did you do?"

"I retreated to my books."She had sat nearly motionless through the initial part of their conversation, but now she moved restlessly, getting up and pacing across the room to look out the bay window where York Minster loomed in the distance. But instead of the cathedral, Lynley guessed that Tessa saw the past. "I dreamt that William would become Mr. Darcy. I dreamt that Mr. Knightley would sweep me off my feet. I hoped that any day I might meet Edward Rochester if I only believed enough that my dreams were real."She crossed her arms in front of her as if that could ward off the pain of that time. "I wanted desperately to be loved. How I wanted to be loved! Can you possibly understand that, Inspector?"

"Who couldn't understand?"Lynley replied.

"I thought that if we had a second child, we would each have someone special to love. So I…I seduced William back to our bed."

"Back?"

"Oh yes, back. He'd left me shortly after Gilly was born and had begun to sleep elsewhere. On the couch, in the sewing room, anywhere but with me."

"Why?"

"He used as an excuse the fact that Gilly's birth had been so hard on me. He didn't want me to become pregnant and go through the torture again."

"There are contraceptives—"

"William's Catholic, Inspector. There are no contraceptives."She turned from the window to face them again. The light bled colour from her cheeks, effaced eyebrows and lashes, and deepened the creases from nose to mouth. If she sensed this, she made no move to avoid it. Rather, she remained, as if willing to allow her age to be exposed. She went on.

"But I really think, looking back on it, that it was sex, not conception, that frightened William. At any rate, I got him back to my bed eventually. And eight years after Gilly, Roberta was born."

"If you had what you wanted—a second baby to love—why did you leave?"

"Because it began again. All of it. She wasn't mine any more than Gillian had been. I loved my little girls, but I wasn't allowed near them, not the way I wanted to be. I had nothing."Although her voice quavered on the last word, she drew herself in, cradling her body tighter, and found control. "All I had once again was Darcy. My books."

"So you left."

"I woke up one morning just a few weeks after Roberta was born and I knew that if I stayed I would shrivel to nothing. I was nearly twenty-five. I had two children I wasn't allowed to love and a husband who had begun to consult the Bible before dressing in the morning. I looked out the window, saw the trail leading to High Kel Moor, and knew I would leave that day."

"Didn't he try to stop you?"

"No. Of course I wanted him to. But he didn't. I walked out of the door and out of his life, carrying just one valise and thirty-four pounds. I came to York."

"He never came to see you? Never tried to follow you?"