tweet!

barnner

Minggu, 13 Januari 2013

thirthy five


"WHAT VIDEO?" I asked again, my eyes like daggers.
Total flopped down on his belly and rested his head on his paws.
"Angel?" I pressed.
"I may have seen something on Fang's blog," she admitted reluctantly.
"And you didn't tell me?!"
"You made us promise never to mention his name!" she said. I hate it when they throw unhelpful details in my face.
Dylan stepped away looking a little wounded, and I actually had to keep myself from pulling him back toward me. As if I didn't have enough to deal with—now my heart felt like it had been run through a meat grinder.
I gritted my teeth. "Show me."
Angel went in the house to get our laptop, then brought it outside. I watched over her shoulder as she called up Fang's blog and clicked on a video link. I held my breath while it played. It was grainy, poor quality, like it had been shot on someone's cell phone. It showed a hotel room and several older kids sitting around, some watching the news on TV in the background. I stared at their faces but hadn't seen one of them before.
Then Fang and someone else came into the picture. The camera panned up to reveal her face, and I gasped. There I was, in a strange hotel room! Fang was grinning in that slightly crooked way that made my heart beat faster, and I grinned back and aimed a can of Cheez Whiz at him. He playfully opened his mouth, and the other kids laughed. Then the on-screen me actually shot Cheez Whiz into his mouth. We laughed some more, then I shot Cheez Whiz into my own mouth.
Except that it had never happened. I had no memory of that day. Weirdly, on the TV they were watching, the date that had flashed in front of the news was… today. Just a few hours ago.
I stared at Angel. "And I don't remember this cute little scene because…?" Then it hit me, before she even answered. And my stomach dropped down somewhere around my knees.
"Max II."
Angel nodded and paused the video.
I stared at the computer screen, my face frozen, laughing into Fang's face. He was looking at her exactly the way he used to look at me. I hadn't thought I could possibly feel worse about the whole Fang fiasco, but I'd been wrong.
Not only had he left, but he'd replaced me. Like, immediately. Replaced me with an exact copy of me. How unfair was that? I mean, even if I could replace Fang with an identical but more reasonable copy of Fang, I wou—
"What's that?" Dylan pointed at the computer.
I blinked, feeling like I'd been dipped into a fresh vat of pain. My gaze numbly followed his finger, then I saw the small TV screen in the background.
"What?" I could barely get the word out. I just wanted to go stand in a hot shower and not think.
"Look," said Dylan.
"Oh, my gosh," said Angel. She let the video resume.
I swallowed and tried to focus. Then I saw it: on the TV in Fang's hotel room was a breaking news report. The headline was "The Doomsday Group: The Earth or Us?"
Fang pointed at the TV and said something I couldn't make out. The other kids nodded.
Dylan, Angel, and I looked at one another. I felt like we were the only sane people left in a crazy, unpredictable world. Which means you should be afraid. Very, very afraid.
"What's going on?" I wondered aloud, frustrated.
"Whatever it is, it looks like Fang wants to find out too," said Angel.
I clenched my jaw. "Okay. Tomorrow. School."