tweet!

barnner

Minggu, 13 Januari 2013

fifthy three


THE SMALL PARK next to the hotel was practically empty, and I quickly found a place to take off. I soared into the sky, my heart racing with adrenaline. I was so hyped-up and flooded with emotion that it felt fantastic to burn off some energy, heat dissipating through my wings. My strong primary and secondary feathers made effortless adjustments as I banked and turned, and within a minute I was a couple thousand feet up in the sky, in the wild blue yonder, as they say, where there was no sound except the wind rushing past my ears, nothing in my way, nothing holding me back.
I didn't even turn to see if Fang was following me. I figured he'd probably stayed behind with his new little wingless gang. I was so angry and hurt and upset that I didn't know what to say to him. We'd had arguments before, of course, and knockdown, drag-out fights, but not too much recently. Not since we'd—
"So what's the deal?" came Fang's cross voice behind me.
I did a fast spin-brake, wheeled around, and faced him as we each rose up and down with the beat of our wings.
"You're asking me?" I said, incredulous. "I thought you were running everything! You decided to leave. You decided I should come back. You decided that we should have this out. I'm just your audience!"
"You've never been an audience!" Fang snapped. "You know I did the right thing by leaving—you're just too bullheaded to admit it! You know we need to work together to fight the Doomsday Group, but you'd rather flit around with your hurt feelings! And you know that you should have left Dylan behind in Arizona, but you'd rather throw him in my face!"
I was so stunned I couldn't think straight. I so did not agree that Fang had done the right thing by leaving. I don't believe that I've ever flitted anywhere in my life. And how was I supposed to leave Dylan anywhere? I didn't control him, and he seemed to have a homing device locked on me anyway.
I finally closed my mouth before I started swallowing bugs. "Throw him in your face? He's stuck to me like glue! How could I not bring him with me? Besides, you're the one posting cutesy videos of you and my stand-in online! How is that not throwing her in my face?"
"She's not your stand-in!" Fang roared. "She's a unique individual! It's not her fault that she looks like you!"
In my whole life, I couldn't remember being more furious with anyone who wasn't a total enemy. I was practically spitting. "Well, it's not my fault that Dylan imprinted on me! And you know what? He's the only one who hasn't left me! Why would I give that up?"
Fang's face blanched, and even I was shocked at what I'd said. We simply stared at each other, rising and falling, the air currents lifting us like waves in the ocean.
Fang was breathing hard, his teeth clenched so tight that even his lips were white. I was so upset and pumped with adrenaline that I felt like I might throw up. Such a bummer that would be for anyone below me…
I don't even know how long it was before Fang swallowed, coughed, and then said, "The Doomsday Group is bigger than this, bigger than us. Do you agree that we should both try to fight it?" His voice was a little ragged now but calmer.
I took several deep breaths. "It would probably be best if we both fought it," I said stiffly.
Fang nodded, some of the color returning to his face. "Please tell Dylan to go back to Arizona. This isn't a fight for newbies."
And just like that, I was furious again. "Newbies!" I exclaimed. "Like your little team of high-schoolers down there? They can't even freaking fly! At least Dylan can kick butt in battle! I'd trust him with my back before I'd trust any of the kids in the Fang Show!"
Fang opened his mouth to yell back but stopped himself with effort. "Maya is a good fighter," he said finally.
"Yes, I am," I said sharply.