tweet!

barnner

Minggu, 24 Februari 2013

chapter 5

"Even Gregory is a great deal better than Pierre Lansquenet ever was!
 
Of course marrying a man who serves in a shop would have been unheard of in my day - but a chemist's shop is much better than a haberdasher's - and at least Gregory seems quite respectable." She paused and added: "Does this mean that Susan gets the income Richard left to Cora?"
 
"Oh no. The capital of that will be divided according to the instructions of Richard's will. No, poor Cora had only a few hundred pounds and the furniture of her cottage to leave. When outstanding debts are paid and the furniture sold I doubt if the whole thing will amount to more than at most five hundred pounds." He went on: "There will have to be an inquest, of course. That is fixed for next Thursday. If Timothy is agreeable, we'll send down young Lloyd to watch the proceedings on behalf of the family. He added apologetically: "I'm afraid it may attract some notoriety owing to the - er - circumstances."
 
"How very unpleasant! Have they caught the wretch who did it?"
 
"Not yet."
 
"One of these dreadful half-baked young men who go about the country roving and murdering, I suppose. The police are so incompetent."
 
"No, no," said Mr Entwhistle. "The police are by no means incompetent. Don't imagine that, for a moment."
 
"Well, it all seems to me quite extraordinary. And so bad for Timothy. I suppose you couldn't possibly come down here, Mr Entwhistle? I should be most grateful if you could. I think Timothy's mind might be set at rest if you were here to reassure him."
 
Mr Entwhistle was silent for a moment. The invitation was not unwelcome.
 
"There is something in what you say," he admitted. "And I shall need Timothy's signature as executor to certain documents. Yes, I think it might be quite a good thing."
 
"That is splendid. I am so relieved. Tomorrow? And you'll stay the night? The best train is the 11.20 from St Pancras."
 
"It will have to be an afternoon train, I'm afraid. I have," said Mr Entwhistle, "other business in the morning..."
 
II
 
George Crossfield greeted Mr Entwhistle heartily but with, perhaps, just a shade of surprise.
 
Mr Entwhistle said, in an explanatory way, although it really explained nothing:
 
"I've just come up from Lytchett St Mary."
 
"Then it really was Aunt Cora? I read about it in the papers and I just couldn't believe it. I thought it must be someone of the same name."
 
"Lansquenet is not a common name."
 
"No, of course it isn't. I suppose there is a natural aversion to believing that anyone of one's own family can be murdered. Sounds to me rather like that case last month on Dartmoor."
 
"Does it?"
 
"Yes. Same circumstances. Cottage in a lonely position. Two elderly women living together. Amount of cash taken really quite pitifully inadequate one would think."
 
"The value of money is always relative, said Mr Entwhistle. "It is the need that counts."
 
"Yes - yes, I suppose you re right."
 
"If you need ten pounds desperately - then fifteen is more than adequate. And inversely also. If your need is for a hundred pounds, forty-five would be worse than useless. And if it's thousands you need, then hundreds are not enough."
 
George said with a sudden flicker of the eyes: "I'd say any money came in useful these days. Everyone's hard up."
 
"But not desperate," Mr Entwhistle pointed out. "It's the desperation that counts."
 
"Are you thinking of something in particular?"
 
"Oh no, not at all." He paused then went on: "It will be a little time before the estate is settled; would it be convenient for you to have an advance?"
 
"As a matter of fact, I was going to raise the subject. However, I saw the Bank this morning and referred them to you and they were quite obliging about an overdraft."
 
Again there came that flicker in George's eyes, and Mr Entwhistle, from the depths of his experience, recognised it. George, he felt certain, had been, if not desperate, then in very sore straits for money. He knew at that moment, what he had felt subconsciously all along, that in money matters he would not trust George. He wondered if old Richard Abernethie, who also had had great experience in judging men, had felt that. Mr Entwhistle was almost sure that after Mortimer's death, Richard Abernethie had formed the intention of making George his heir. George was not an Abernethie, but he was the only male of the younger generation. He was the natural successor to Mortimer. Richard Abernethie had sent for George, had had him staying in the house for some days. It seemed probable that at the end of the visit the older man had not found George satisfactory. Had he felt instinctively, as Mr Entwhistle felt, that George was not straight? George's father, so the family had thought, had been a poor choice on Laura's part. A stockbroker who had had other rather mysterious activities. George took after his father rather than after the Abernethies.
 
Perhaps misinterpreting the old lawyer's silence, George said with an uneasy laugh:
 
"Truth is, I've not been very lucky with my investments lately. I took a bit of a risk and it didn't come off. More or less cleaned me out. But I'll be able to recoup myself now. All one needs is a bit of capital. Ardens Consolidated are pretty good, don't you think?"
 
Mr Entwhistle neither agreed nor dissented. He was wondering if by any chance George had been speculating with money that belonged to clients and not with his own? If George had been in danger of criminal prosecution -
 
Mr Entwhistle said precisely:
 
"I tried to reach you the day after the funeral, but I suppose you weren't in the office."
 
"Did you? They never told me. As a matter of fact, I thought I was entitled to a day off after the good news!"
 
"The good news?"
 
George reddened.
 
"Oh look here, I didn't mean Uncle Richard's death. But knowing you've come into money does give one a bit of a kick. One feels one must celebrate. As a matter of fact I went to Hurst Park. Backed two winners. It never rains but it pours! If your luck's in, it's in! Only a matter of fifty quid, but it all helps."
 
"Oh yes," said Mr Entwhistle. "It all helps. And there will now be an additional sum coming to you as a result of your Aunt Cora's death."
 
George looked concerned.
 
"Poor old girl," he said. "It does seem rotten luck, doesn't it? Probably just when she was all set to enjoy herself."
 
"Let us hope the police will find the person responsible for her death," said Mr Entwhistle.
 
"I expect they'll get him all right. They're good, our police. They round up all the undesirables in the neighbourhood and go through 'em with a tooth comb - make them account for their actions at the time it happened."
 
"Not so easy if a little time has elapsed," said Mr Entwhistle. He gave a wintry little smile that indicated he was about to make a joke. "I myself was in Hatchard's bookshop at 3.30 on the day in question. Should I remember that if I were questioned by the police in ten days' time? I very much doubt it. And you, George, you were at Hurst Park. Would you remember which day you went to the races in - say - a month's time?"