tweet!

barnner

Minggu, 24 Februari 2013

c10

"Uncle Timothy? I'm Susan Banks."
 
"Susan who?"
 
"Banks. Formerly Abernethie. Your niece Susan."
 
"Oh, you're Susan, are you? What's the matter? What are you ringing up for at this time of night?"
 
"It's quite early still."
 
"It isn't. I was in bed."
 
"You must go to bed very early. How's Aunt Maude?"
 
"Is that all you rang up to ask? Your aunt's in a good deal of pain and she can't do a thing. Not a thing. She's helpless. We're in a nice mess, I can tell you. That fool of a doctor says he can't even get a nurse. He wanted to cart Maude off to hospital. I stood out against that. He's trying to get hold of someone for us. I can't do anything - I daren't even try. There's a fool from the village staying in the house tonight but she's murmuring about getting back to her husband. Don't know what we're going to do."
 
"That's what I rang up about. Would you like Miss Gilchrist?"
 
"Who's she? Never heard of her."
 
"Aunt Cora's companion. She's very nice and capable."
 
"Can she cook?"
 
"Yes, she cooks very well, and she could look after Aunt Maude."
 
"That's all very well, but when could she come? Here I am, all on my own, with only these idiots of village women popping in and out at odd hours, and it's not good for me. My heart's playing me up."
 
"I'll arrange for her to get off to you as soon as possible. The day after tomorrow, perhaps?"
 
"Well, thanks very much," said the voice rather grudgingly. "You're a good girl, Susan - er - thank you."
 
Susan rang off and went into the kitchen.
 
"Would you be willing to go up to Yorkshire and look after my aunt?
 
She fell and broke her ankle and my uncle is quite useless. He's a bit of a pest but Aunt Maude is a very good sort. They have help in from the village, but you could cook and look after Aunt Maude."
 
Miss Gilchrist dropped the coffee pot in her agitation.
 
"Oh, thank you, thank you - that really is kind. I think I can say of myself that I am really good in the sickroom, and I'm sure I can manage your uncle and cook him nice little meals. It's really very kind of you, Mrs Banks, and I do appreciate it."