tweet!

barnner

Minggu, 24 Februari 2013

c6

"I don't know how much Maude told you about the funeral and the relatives," said Mr Entwhistle. "Cora produced rather an awkward moment. Said brightly that Richard had been murdered, hadn't he?
 
Perhaps Maude told you."
 
Timothy chuckled easily.
 
"Oh yes, I heard about that. Everybody looked down their noses and pretended to be shocked. Just the sort of thing Cora would say! You know how she always managed to put her foot in it when she was a girl, Entwhistle? Said something at our wedding that upset Maude, I remember. Maude never cared for her very much. Yes, Maude rang me
 
up that evening after the funeral to know if I was all right and if Mrs Jones had come in to give me my evening meal and then she told me it had all gone off very well, and I said 'What about the will?' and she tried to hedge a bit, but of course I had the truth out of her. I couldn't believe it, and I said she must have made a mistake, but she stuck to it. It hurt me, Entwhistle - it really wounded me, if you know what I mean. If you ask me, it was just spite on Richard's part. I know one shouldn't speak ill of the dead, but, upon my word -"
 
Timothy continued on this theme for some time.
 
Then Maude came back into the room and said firmly:
 
"I think, dear, Mr Entwhistle has been with you quite long enough. You really must rest. If you have settled everything -"
 
"Oh, we've settled things. I leave it all to you, Entwhistle. Let me know when they catch the fellow - if they ever do. I've no faith in the police nowadays - the Chief Constables aren't the right type. You'll see to the
 
-er - interment - won't you? We shan't be able to come, I'm afraid. But order an expensive wreath - and there must be a proper stone put up in due course - she'll be buried locally, I suppose? No point in bringing her North and I've no idea where Lansquenet is buried, somewhere in France I believe. I don't know what one puts on a stone when it's murder... Can't very well say 'entered into rest' or anything like that. One will have to choose a text - something appropriate. R.I.P.? No, that's only for Catholics."
 
"O Lord, thou hast seen my wrong. Judge thou my case," murmured Mr Entwhistle.
 
The startled glance Timothy bent on him made Mr Entwhistle smile faintly.
 
"From Lamentations," he said. "It seems appropriate if somewhat melodramatic. However, it will be some time before the question of the Memorial stone comes up. The - er - ground has to settle, you know. Now don't worry about anything. We will deal with things and keep you fully informed."
 
Mr Entwhistle left for London by the breakfast train on the following morning.
 
When he got home, after a little hesitation, he rang up a friend of his